Monday, January 13, 2014

Being Malaysian

I was in Celcom BlueCube outlet at Tesco Mutiara Damansara earlier today; I finally decided to get a data plan for the Ipad , figured if I wanted to blog about something while I was out I'd be able to without loosing my chain of thoughts - anyway I digress! So yes ... as I was filling the form up , I saw those three tiny little boxes that annoyed me slightly :


  • Chinese
  • Indian
  • Malay 
After years of going on about 1Malaysia and the numerous campaigns launched under the 1Malaysia banner namely PR1MA , Klinik1Malaysia Kedai1Malaysia - all these stand as a banner for unity; then why despite all the talks of unity are we to be segregated by race and religion.

When we go abroad for holidays i.e. Australia - when we meet a person who is of Chinese/Malay/Indian ethnicity and we ask them where they are from - they say we are Australian regardless of where forefathers came from. Why can this same concept not be applied here? Why can we not just say we are Malaysian?

I dare speak for the majority of Malaysians that this is the only country that we can proudly call home - we have sung Negaraku from the age of 4 at kindergarten and all the way through primary and secondary school - we abide by the Rukun Negara and memorize them till today. We cheer for Lee Chong Wei, Nicole David and all the rest of the Malaysian contingent when the represent the country.

I am a very proud Malaysian, there is no country on the face of this planet that will allow me to celebrate Hari Raya, Chinese New Year, Deepavali , Christmas and all the other religious celebrations plus allow me to practice my religion without fear.

I sing Gong Xi Gong Xi Ni during CNY, I hum on the late Sudirman's legendary Balik Kampung tune during Hari Raya Aidilfitri, it gives me an elevated feeling that I belong to a country that is so rich with diversity.

So it is a plea to the government of Malaysia - please remove those boxes that separate us - instead there should only be two boxes:


  • Malaysian
  • Non Malaysian
Image sourced  from here

No comments:

Post a Comment